Over the last ten years, we have had the honor of hosting numerous Indian wedding events. We have hosted mostly weddings for couples who hail from the Gujarat province of India, so we are most familiar with those traditions. One of our most cherished sights at Hidden River is the arrival of Ganesh to the ceremony site, the deity who is present at all times of transition and, goodness, is marriage ever a transition. But we have also had experience with south Indian traditions and interfaith needs, including LGBTQ Indian weddings.
To date, we’ve hosted an Indian/Jewish wedding, an Indian/Christian wedding, an Indian (Muslim)/Catholic wedding, and a secular Indian wedding where the ceremony was secular but the cultural traditions were still honored in terms of dress, foods, etc.
Whatever your needs, we are prepared to address them and if we do not understand them yet or have experience, we will work to get that experience. The owner of Hidden River Events has a Ph.D. in Religious Studies and spent 20 years teaching a variety of world’s religious traditions and philosophies at the college level.
Hidden River Events was created in 2007, in part, to help address the need for a venue that is truly inclusive of the world’s traditions and open and welcoming to the couples and their families who practice them. We feel it is necessary to learn, in America, how to be travelers in our own land, not just expecting our immigrant families to adapt to us, but also learning and respecting the traditions you bring with you here to the states. That’s what makes us all the more rich as a country.
The local Swannanoa, NC community is blessed to have a strong Indian presence. It is not unusual to find Indian families dancing for Navratri at a local high school gym or community center. So, even though Hidden River is located in this small unincorporated community of Swannanoa, just 10 minutes from Asheville, NC, we find a variety of faith communities represented, not just Baptists.
Would you like to book a tour? Get a quote? Or just want to know more?
SUGGESTIONS FOR AN INDIAN WEDDING AT HIDDEN RIVER:
- WEDNESDAY: Some family and friends check in (we can house 40-50 people comfortably on site and there are hotels just 1.5 miles away for overflow)
- THURSDAY NIGHT: Mendhi Ceremony for up to 42 people at the Craggie House (Infrastructure supplied for this. Food is extra as per your needs.)
- FRIDAY NIGHT: Vidhi and Garba ceremonies in particular (all the infrastructure and food is supplied for this, can be upgraded or customized)
- SATURDAY MORNING: Baraat – We use our sound system and the groom can come in on the horse drawn carriage)
- SATURDAY MORNING: Ceremony – We have a mandap that can be used or you can rent your own. The bride typically arrives later in our five passenger golf cart and is escorted in. There are refreshments provided during the ceremony, such as mango lassi’s or chai.
- SATURDAY AFTERNOON: Brunch – This occurs in a second tent and includes basic menu, typically American style food.
- SATURDAY EVENING: The reception occurs in the evening and features Indian food. We have a caterer who offers wonderful Indian food. The price includes a lovely menu, appetizers, and it includes and estimate of your alcohol, which you purchase and provide yourselves.
- SUNDAY MORNING: Brunch – for up to 50 people on the side yard/deck of one of the houses. Check out of the housing is at 11:00 am. But the brunch can continue until noon or 1 p.m. at the latest. The infrastructure for the brunch is provided. Food is extra as per your request.
We are capable of hosting up to 350 people and we can give you an exact estimate for smaller weddings as well. Please inquire and tell us as much as you can about your needs and the number of guests you anticipate and we will give you a custom quote with guaranteed pricing at the time of contract signing. We are one of the few wedding venues we know of that is truly all inclusive and that has guaranteed pricing. PLUS, we understand, appreciate and CELEBRATE the traditions of India that you bring to us.
- For a link to photos of a lovely wedding that occurred in 2016, check out: https://kristinbyrumphotography.pixieset.com/anerisangram/
- For a blog that featured photos of a Hidden River wedding, see: http://www.nickiestone.com/blog/115072-adam
- For more information about Indian wedding rituals, check out: http://secretweddingblog.com/gujarati-weddings-explained/
Thank you for considering Hidden River Events for your casual or elegant Indian wedding. We especially desire to serve you if you are the type of couple who wants a stress-free Indian wedding. We know that these can get out of control, with pressure from family and friends and we specialize in serving the kind of couple who wants a largely outdoor venue, who wishes to honor their heritage(s), and wants to have a simply beautiful event without drama or stress. We’re with you!